Thursday, September 27, 2012

November Neurosis

Yesterday I began writing on a topic that had been in my head for a while, just churning away.  It's been on the (proverbial) tip of my brain and yesterday she finally decided to show herself.  She?  Yes, the neurotic character that hasn't (until yesterday) fully revealed herself, yet wouldn't leave me alone.  

This led me to an interesting thought last night as I drifted off to sleep:  Is it possible that writers/people who write (some of us anyway) have multiple personality disorder, but can control it and put it on paper rather than physically live it out?  Conversely, is it that people with multiple personality disorder just can't filter the characters in their head out in any other way?  Weird, right?  This reminds me of a creative writing teacher I had in college.  We had a discussion in class about how writing is like an obsession.  That it's not always something we want to do.  In fact, sometimes we don't even like it.  I found the conversation strange because I think I like writing.  However, my characters and their stories are never pre-planned.  I never know what they are going to do or why they do it, until it's done.  

Why November?  I would like to try NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month - for anyone not in the know).  I've decided I would like to try and tell her story during that time.  The only thing I'm worried about, is that when I write, I have a hard time forcing it.  It (the story) either comes, or it doesn't.  I rationalize it that it's the character telling me his/her story or choosing not to.  I hope by telling her (my character) that she will have my (mostly) undivided attention for a month, she will keep it coming.  

Before you get all concerned (I think) I'm just personifying my characters.  I'm not crazy.  No.


No comments:

Post a Comment