Sunday, March 18, 2012

Craft studies

No, not like arts and crafts. Like: the craft of writing. After editing chapter 1, I got concerned about how I presented my setting, so I went back and studied how about eight different novels deal with setting. I came away with a few observations:
1. The "where" of the story allows the plot to happen.
2. Setting can be used to juxtapose mood/situation or another setting
3. Unfamiliar things are described in more detail than the everyday
4. By giving detail to setting, it increases it's importance
5. Setting can enhance mood

Now after getting through part 1 (aka the first 4 chapters) I have found a new dilemma: the passage of time. The way it is written now, two days pass in part one and years pass in part 2. The reason this happened is because part 2 and 4 were written before 1 and 3. Confused yet? Good. Me too. I've known for a while that this would need to be reconciled, now I just have to figure out how to do it.

I think I will go about it in the same way I did my setting quandary. I will look at how a variety of novels deal with time. Hopefully I can come up with a set of observations that lead me down a path of success.

Rewriting is an option, possibly the only option. I just need a better sense of how to do it before I jump in.

No comments:

Post a Comment