Tuesday, March 6, 2012

A bit embarrassed . . .

Yesterday, I discovered what quite possibly is the greatest Microsoft software ever made: Microsoft Office OneNote. I fully realize that it's been on my computer since I got it (which was in 2009) and without a doubt this isn't news to many people. It was, however, news to me. I stumbled upon it by complete accident while trying to figure out how to make a timeline in order to keep my character's straight.

No, this wasn't the first time I have looked for an adequate source of 'timelining'.

Yes, I did find it as a template in excel. Thank you.

I am well aware of my computer ignorance, and am honestly not sure how it got this bad. I swear, at one point in my life, I knew every program that my computer ran (at least enough to know if it belonged or was a virus). Sadly, those days died along with Windows 98'.

Anyway, OneNote allows me to do thing I have always, ALWAYS wanted to do on Word or Paint or somewhere, including, but surely not limited to, moving text around and easily going from one tabbed page to the next. I spent all the time of printing out my Editing checklist (in blue because I'm out of black ink) when I have a searchable, type-capable, (legible), tool right at my fingers. I can keep adding notebooks, sections, and pages until the whole thing is edited and re-edited. I can research questions that pop up and add a page for them. I wasted a whole lot of paper (that isn't searchable or legible or erasable (since it's in pen) in a three ring binder. I'm happy to say, that as I work at editing, I will transfer my paper notes to OneNote and maybe, just maybe, I will actually be organized.


No comments:

Post a Comment