Wednesday, February 29, 2012

What's Next?

A short study of the Novel. I have read quite a few novels in my day, of multiple genres. I have a BS in English with a concentration in Fiction Writing. While we studied novels from a writer's perspective, as an undergrad we did not get into the actual writing of a novel. I realized, as I began to embark on the journey of editing my own novel, two things. First, I had not edited any piece of fiction in a while. Second, I had never attempted at editing a novel. With that in mind, I tentatively looked through the writer's section of the book store. I always look at that area with caution because it would be easy to get caught up reading about 'writing your next number one best seller' and never actually sitting down to write it. I found a couple books on novel writing, and after sitting down to check them over (yes in a chair), I decided on the Complete Handbook of Novel Writing from the Editors of Writer's Digest.

The Complete Handbook Of Novel Writing: Everything You Need to Know About Creating & Selling Your Work (Writers Digest)

It's comprised of short chapters by published authors dealing with everything about the Novel from plot to publishing. I'm using it to help me put together an editing checklist, which once I finish, I will share with anyone who cares to view/use it. Most of what I've read in the book, I know on some level. However, it helps to be reminded what works and what doesn't. My plan to to take no more than a week to read through the book and get my checklist put together, so I can get on to the important stuff: editing!


No comments:

Post a Comment