Thursday, August 4, 2011

My brain

When I'm working on a story, I very often have to step away and let my characters to mature in my head. I have to figure out how to introduce a new character, how to structure a story, or what is missing. Sometimes it takes me a long time for the ideas to form, sometimes it doesn't. As long as it is an active project, the longer that I let it simmer in my head, the easier it is to write. I can develop a character in my head. I am doing it right now. I did this very act last night while reading, then as I fell asleep I realized that I needed to add chapters of my main characters husband's perspective into the mix. I always knew it was crucial for the audience to understand him, for me to understand his motivations. What I could never quite figure is how I was going to do it. This is perfect. I even know where his chapter groups will fit into in the larger story. I started the process of writing this out today. I got over 1,500 words into it. I am very excited. While I was writing about him, it is opening me up to other ideas about my main character as well. Overall, I'm super excited to see where this goes and hopefully it will all fit together as well as it does in my wishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment