Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Reading . . . about about writing

It is the most fantastic way to feel normal.

I recently purchased, the twilight saga: the official illustrated guide (yes I know I didn't capitalize the title, but it's not capitalized on the book) and the first sixty-five pages are an interview with Stephenie Meyer, the author of the series. I am embarrassed to say I almost skipped over it because I so want to know all the secrets about the vampires and the werewolves. I am sure glad I chose to read it. I am about halfway through it now and I am just so excited because she says things that ring true in so many ways. I had to get up and grab a pad of sticky notes to mark favorite quotes. I am sure I will share them in an upcoming blog post. However, what I am really excited about is how much information is overall packed into this book, that was crucial for Stephenie to write The Twilight Saga, but not necessarily in it. I think it's such a gift to share with fans of the series everything that was in her mind that made the stories and characters authentic.

Character authenticity is something I hold so close to my heart because I think it's the most important lesson I ever learned about writing. It's a cliche, you must have a "character driven plot", BUT it's also the key to an authentic story (something that seems real). It would be like if I suddenly bought a gun, anyone who knows me would immediately ask what happened to me to change my mind on guns. It would have to be some outward force that made me do it, and the weird part is, I cannot think of anything that would make me do such a thing. It's just simply not in my nature. Characters in books have to be the same way.

I think this is why I am currently struggling a bit with the story I am working on. I only have one main character, it is in her nature to stay to herself. How do I get another character in there, when she doesn't want a friend or a lover or anyone?

Answer: (yes I just came up with this) I am going to have to find someone from her world, whom she doesn't know yet, that needs her, or that pushes their way into her life for a purpose. She will eventually have to want them to be there, because she could simply run and hide (that would be in her nature). This person has to be compelling and possibly fleeting and elusive and intriguing to her. A simply persistently annoying person will not do. There is one character that she has met, but I am not sure he is the one who can bring her out into the world of the social. One thing is for sure: somehow, I need to include more characters in this story.

No comments:

Post a Comment