Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Writing about writing

Writing about writing seems both logical and illogical to me.

Logical: I wanted to document my progress, but didn't want to bombard facebook.

Illogical: Writing about writing is writing, so what's the difference? IDK


First order of business: The title.

I love dictionay.com's words of the day! Everyday there is a new word that most of the time, I have never heard of. I even have an app on my blackberry for dictionary.com and I try to check the word of the day; daily. Lacuna is not a recent word of they day, but it is possible to look through the archives and I like to find cool new words. Lacuna means a blank space or a missing part. I have not decided exactly whether I am filling a blank space in the world by gracing it's presence with my writing (not likely) or filling a blank space in my life by writing a blog that most likely will have no followers (more likely). Either way, it's filling a blank space somewhere. So here goes nothing, or something (if I'm lucky).

Second order of business: Exciting writing news!

I received my first rejection letter (email) yesterday! I know what you are thinking:
"How can a rejection letter be exciting news?"
Simple: A. Someone read my work other than Rob or any other friend of mine
B. I sent something to someone.
C. It wasn't even mean. I was truly expecting it to be mean.

It read:

Hi Tina,

We enjoyed reading your story, but it's not quite right for us.

Thanks for submitting!

Sincerely,

(editors name I will out)



See! It was NOT mean. Rejecting, yes. But not bad. I printed it and taped it up on my wall, right behind my computer screen. I am proud of it, and will push myself harder to send stuff out.

I have to admit, I did not send my favorite story, but I did think it was good. My favorite story did not fit this magazine's criteria.

Third and last order of business for today: I am working on an essay for the magazine: Real Simple. The contest has a great prize, but I struggle to write about me sometimes. So far I have started this essay three time. I think it's getting better each time. That's all I can ask of myself. I don't have to submit it until September 24, so I have time to hash it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment