Friday, June 18, 2010

So it goes.

I finished reading, I am Nujood, Age 10 and Divorced. I then set out on a quest to find a new book to read. I thumbed through quite a few books and saw many words like:

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of time" --> it can't be both, next.

"She promised us south rooms with a view close together." --> I think I've already read it, next.

Read the first four pages of The Kite Runner and was not amused --> next

I almost got interested in War and Peace.

But the words that caught my attention and made me smile were, "All of this happened, more or less." Hence today's title, "So i goes." I will have to remember that first pages, even first lines make a readers mind up whether they will put a book down or read it.

I learned three new words today. The first three on the list of 400 most commonly seen on the GRE. One of which I basically already knew bit.

1. Aberrant (n) -deviating from the norm
2. abeyance (adj) - temporary suspension or inactivity
3. Abscond (v) - to secretly and suddenly leave so as to not get caught or persecuted
**I got them almost correct, just had to correct the wording (and therefore parts of speech)

I also wrote a short story today. I love flash fiction. It's quick and dirty and when i have written a few hundred words I fell accomplished because it's done. I meant to write something to do with nourishment. It's an upcoming theme for a lit mag I want to submit to. However I couldn't think of anything. So I pulled out The Pocket Muse for inspiration and I flipped to a page that told me to use a tool or appliance, but no for it's intended purpose. I decided on a blender. Oddly the blender never made it into my story; neither did any nourishment. I wrote in a third person (very) limited voice. It it can't be seen, you don't know it. The visuals are strong though (I think). Either way, I will have to find a different mag to submit it to. So it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment