Friday, July 27, 2012

Genre study

I read somewhere, probably many places, and have been told countless times that in order to be a better writer, I must read fervently. Don't mistake that. I do read, a lot. It's just I tend to read randomly and many genres or I read specifically a lot by a few authors. So, I have decided that if I want to write Science Fiction (which is the only thing that really interests me (as a writer), I need to read a wider range of material. Hence: genre study.

Where to start? Good question.

I have been researching MFA programs for awhile now, and found that the University of Kansas has The Center for the Study of Science Fiction. It offers a lot of unique courses that focus in SF and I would love the opportunity to study there. However, I have no idea where we will end up. They do offer a week long class (that has already occurred) on The Science Fiction Novel. The website includes a list of all required reading, and that's where I decided to start my genre study. If, by chance, I get to attend someday, I'm ahead of the curve. If not, it's a good start on a much larger goal. Hell, my favorite SF author isn't even included, so I know there are many more good choices out there.

I'm starting the list in the middle, with the one book that I haveThe Man in the High Castle

I started reading it awhile ago, but never finished. I'm not sure why.

I've also ordered a couple more, so that when I'm done, I can read another. I love Amazon's used books section. Seriously, one cent for a book plus $3.99 shipping. I'm a happy girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment