Saturday, June 11, 2011

Problem of the day . . . of always

Titles. I can never figure out what to title stories. I always give things working titles so I remember what they are as I am writing them. However, working titles are simply cheesy and not thought out, and yet I rarely change the title once I'm done. So the question of the day, or possibly the century is this: how do you choose a title? I tried the obvious to solve my dilemma. I looked at books on my shelf and thought about why they are titled the way they are. Some obviously tell you what the book is about, some give the theme, some are simply one word, like Pastwatch (Orson Scott Card), others are long, like the short second life of bree tanner (Stephenie Meyer). How does an author choose? How do I choose? I want it to grab attention, because I admit to often choosing books based on title, cover, and referral so I expect others to do the same. Since no one has read my stuff before and it's a short story with no cover art, I need a killer title. On that note, if anyone reads this and has any idea at all about ways to choose titles, please comment. I am lightly begging. Thanks. Till next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment