Friday, June 10, 2011

. . . and then it hit me!

So I've mentioned that I have been working on a novel, recently I've come to realize that parts of it aren't flowing the way I want. I feel like it's too quick and things won't make sense to whomever may or may not someday read it because while the back story of my characters is in my heart (or wherever a writer keeps the soul of their characters) the reader won't understand their motivations. I have come up with a new idea (besides the obvious of editing it and adding more "now" material where necessary). I am going to include inserts or chapters of flashback setting up where life started and how relationships changed. Where it starts, in medias res, is perfect (I think), but with that (and I should have known this) I need to clue the reader into everything else. So here's to writing all of the inserts and the more difficult task of coherently inserting them into what I already have. After that and some careful expansion/editing on my part, the scarier and more challenging part will come: what to do with it. That, honestly, is probably still a while down the road. My goal: (and I can't believe I am sharing this with everyone who may or may not read this, but I would like you to hold me to it) Is to finish at least a rough cut of the (first?) novel by the end of the year and (maybe) have a clue where I need to go from there. Crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment